The International Organization for Migration (IOM), as the leading intergovernmental migration agency, has been at the forefront of operational, research, policy and advocacy efforts, seeking to bring environmental migration to the heart of international, regional and national concerns, in collaboration with its Member States, observers and partners.
See the Migration, Environment and Climate Change page on the main IOM website.
The Organization pursues three broad objectives in managing environmental migration, intervening at each stage of the migration cycle:
- To minimize forced and unmanaged migration as much as possible (solutions for people to stay);
- Where forced migration does occur, to ensure assistance and protection for those affected and to seek durable solutions (solutions for people on the move); and
- To facilitate the role of migration as an adaptation strategy to climate change (solutions for people to move).
IOM STRATEGIC AIMS
- Governments and authorities are empowered, policymakers’ and practitioners’ capacities are enhanced to address complex migration, environment and climate matters;
- Responses to support migrants and vulnerable communities are enabled and improved; and
- Human mobility matters are integrated in key policy areas dealing with climate, environment and land.
SEVEN As FOR ENHANCED ACTION ON MIGRATION, ENVIRONMENT AND CLIMATE CHANGE (MECC)
IOM is participating at the highest level in several global policy processes, advocating in favour of the following seven points for action,
the “7 As”:
- A” for “adaptation”: Giving prominence to the potentiality of migration as a positive adaptation strategy, taking into consideration disaster risk reduction, climate change adaptation, sustainable development and resilience implications;
- “A” for “abilities”: Calling attention to the capacities needed at policy and community levels to respond to issues associated with human mobility in the context of climate change and environmental degradation;
- “A” for “alliances”: Encouraging partnerships and collaboration among sending and receiving countries as well as across policy areas to ensure that a wide range of policy options is developed;
- “A” for “action”: Highlighting actions already being taken and existing good practices to encourage new ones;
- “A” for “assessments”: Assessing and evaluating existing data for evidenced-based policymaking;
- “A” for “assets”: Accessing funds to develop activities on ‘migration and adaptation’ and harnessing the potential of migration-related sources of financing, for example remittances;
“A” for “advocacy”: Giving a voice to environmental migrants.
- IOM Council 110th Session (2019)
- IOM Council 109th Session (2018)
- IOM Report (page 29)
- IOM Council 108th Session (2017)
- IOM Council 107th Session (2016)
- IOM Report (page 17)
- Climate migration and cross-border disaster displacement - High-level Panel
- IOM Council 106th Session (2015)
- IOM Council 105th Session (2014)
- IOM Council 94th Session (2007)
- Discussion Note: Migration and the Environment English
Standing Committee on Programmes and Finance (SCPF):
- Standing Committee on Programmes and Finance (2019) - Update on policies and practices related to migration, the environment and climate change and IOM's Environmental Sustainability Programme (Document S/24/5; Presentation)
- Standing Committee on Programmes and Finance (2017) - Migration, the Environment and Climate Change at IOM: Taking Stock of Progress English French Spanish
- Standing Committee on Programmes and Finance (2016) - Migration, Environment and Climate Change: Institutional Developments and Contributions to Policy Processes English French Spanish
- Standing Committee on Programmes and Finance (2015) - Migration, Environment and Climate Change: Institutional Advances and Priorities for Policy Action English French Spanish
- Standing Committee on Programmes and Finance (2014) - IOM's Role and Activities Relating to Migration, the Environment and Climate Change English French Spanish
- Standing Committee on Programmes and Finance (2011) - IOM's Role in the Humanitarian Response to Displacement Induced by Natural Disasters English French Spanish
- Standing Committee on Programmes and Finance (2008) - Migration and the Environment English French Spanish
International Dialogue on Migration (IDM):