Words into Action guidelines - Disaster displacement: How to reduce risk, address impacts and strengthen resilience
This Words into Action guide offers practical guidance to help government authorities integrate disaster displacement and other related forms of human mobility into regional, national, sub-national and local DRR strategies in accordance with target E of the Sendai Framework, to revise or develop DRR strategies by 2020. It provides basic background information, and highlights the various roles DRR and DRM can play in reducing, preparing for and responding to disaster displacement.
The guide is primarily intended to support the work of:
- Regional, national, sub-national and local DRM actors, particularly disaster management agencies, civil defence and emergency responders in addressing disaster displacement risk.
- National and regional governments in ensuring that policies to avoid and manage displacement within and across borders are coherent across all relevant sectors.
- National and sub-national law and policymakers, such as parliamentarians, in regulating the inclusion of measures to reduce and manage disaster displacement.
- Local authorities responsible for land-use planning and urban development in reducing vulnerabilities and exposure that may lead to displacement, and in ensuring disaster displacement risk is included in spatial development plans.
- Others, such as international organisations, civil society, community-based organisations, and academics, may also find it useful.
The guide has four parts. The first discusses the purpose of the project, explains why disaster displacement is a global DRR challenge and provides an overview of how the Sendai Framework addresses disaster displacement.
The second part begins with guiding principles to frame activities under the framework’s four priorities for action relevant to reducing, preparing for and responding to disaster displacement at all levels. Effective practices are illustrated with examples and case studies.
The third part is an assessment tool that summarises the most important activities for addressing disaster displacement within local, sub-national, national, regional and global DRR strategies. It aims to help users determine whether such strategies align with the Sendai Framework on disaster displacement, and to assist with reporting against the indicators of the Sendai monitoring mechanism.
The fourth part is an annex that provides specific references to disaster displacement and human mobility in the Sendai Framework, a list of key resources, a glossary, cross-references to other Words into Action guides and an overview of how disaster displacement is relevant to various global policies and processes.