Devex speaks with Ambassador Laura Thompson, deputy director general of the International Organization for Migration, about efforts underway to integrate a "disparate" assortment of migrants' rights protections.
Video originally featured in article "The gathering storm of climate migration", 25 March 2016
South Asia, comprising 8 countries including Bangladesh, the Maldives and Nepal, is affected by a range of natural disasters including floods, glacial lake outburst floods (GLOFs), storm surges, droughts, cyclones and heavy precipitation. These disasters take a huge toll as they displace thousands of people every year. The impact of natural hazards is amplified by the following facts: most countries in the region lack strong economies and infrastructure, majority of the population and the industries depend on land resources, and large proportions of the population live in environmentally vulnerable areas.
The State of Environmental Migration series gathers the expertise of researchers, students and professionals to provide an annual assessment of the changing nature and dynamics of environment- and climate-related migration throughout the world.
West Africa: Promoting sustainable land management in migration-prone areas through innovative financing mechanisms
The three-year project (2014 – 2016) provides support to West African countries, especially Burkina Faso, Niger and Senegal, to:
Meet the team
For further information on MECLEP, please contact:
Migration Research Division, IOM Geneva: email@example.com
- Susanne Melde, Global project coordinator.
- François Gemenne, Global research coordinator.
- Frank Laczko, Head of Global Migration Data Analysis Centre
For information or inquiries on the Portal, please contact:
- Sieun Lee, Programme Officer, Migration, Environment and Climate Change (MECC)
For further general information on Migration, Environment and Climate Change (MECC), please contact the MECC Division: firstname.lastname@example.org or
- Dina Ionesco, Head of Migration, Environment and Climate Change (MECC) Division
- Mariam Traore Chazalnoël, Associate Expert, Migration, Environment and Climate Change (MECC)
- Daria Mokhnacheva, Programme Officer, Platform on Disaster Displacement (PDD)
- Eva Mach, Project Officer, Migration, Environment and Climate Change (MECC)