Climate change and migration: taking global commitments a step forward
20 Jan 2022, 15:00pm
- IOM UK
- Center for Global Development
IOM UK and the Center for Global Development are delighted to invite you to an online panel discussion, titled "Addressing environmental migration: taking global commitments a step forward", which will take place on Thursday, 20 January, 2:00-3:00pm GMT.
The event will tackle the climate change-migration nexus and how countries can strengthen their global commitments in both policy arenas ahead of COP27 and the International Migration Review Forum (IMRF). Speakers will discuss practical examples of how high-income countries can facilitate both regional and international "environmental migration" through regular pathways and upholding migrants' rights in the process.
This event builds on the recommendations contained in two policy papers, recently published by IOM UK and CGD, and provides a space for experts to consider these recommendations and how to feasibly take them forward.
You can read more about the event and register here.
2:00 – 2:05 | Introduction by Tauhid Pasha, IOM UK's Head of Office
2:05 – 2:40 | Panel Discussion
- Helen Dempster, Policy Fellow and Assistant Program Director for Migration, Displacement, and Humanitarian Policy at CGD
- Alex Randall, Climate Change & Migration Specialist and Educator at the Climate & Migration Coalition / Climate Change Outreach
- Lena Brenn,Disaster Displacement Adviser, Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) Secretariat
- Kathryn E. Anderson, Deputy Chief (Acting), Office of Policy & Strategy, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, Department of Homeland Security
- Ursula Rakova, Climate Activist for the Carteret Islands
Chair: Mariam Traore Chazalnoel, Senior Policy Officer with expertise in Migration, Environment and Climate Change at IOM.
2:40 – 3:00 | Q&A with the Audience