High Level Virtual Launch: The Africa Climate Mobility Initiative - Shaping the Future of Mobility in Africa
28 Sep 2021, 08:30am
From 8:30 - 9:30am EST/ 14:00 - 15:30 CEST
On the margins of the high-level week of the 76th General Assembly of the United Nations, the African Union Commission, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the World Bank, the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) will jointly launch the Africa Climate Mobility Initiative (ACMI).
The ACMI aims to support the African continent to both harness the potential of mobility in the context of the climate crisis, as well as to address climate-forced displacement and migration. It is an unprecedented global partnership aimed at generating political momentum, a common policy agenda, and resources to that end. The ACMI will advance data-based, comprehensive solutions to support people-centered adaptation to climate mobility; protect those on the move; and further the resilience of African communities confronting the climate crisis.
- H.E. Monique Nsanzabaganwa, African Union Commission Deputy Chairperson
- H.E. Hafez Ghanem, World Bank Vice President
- H.E. Collen Vixen Kelapile, President of the UN Economic and Social Council
- Mr. António Vitorino, IOM Director General
- Mr. Ahunna Eziakonwa, UNDP Assistant Administrator for Africa
- Mr. Ovais Sarmad, UNFCCC Deputy Executive Secretary
- Mr. Selwin Hart, Special Adviser to the UN Secretary-General on Climate Action
- H.E. Amira El Fadil Mohammed, African Union Commissioner for Social Afairs (Moderator)