International Dialogue on Migration 2021 - Accelerating integrated action on sustainable development: migration, the environment and climate change
25 May 2021, 09:00am
9:00 to 12:00 EST/ 15:00 to 18:00 CEST
The International Dialogue on Migration (IDM) will convene its 20th edition on the topic of migration, the environment and climate change.
Ten years later after the first IDM session dedicated to the emerging nexus between the migration, environment and climate change in 2011 and building also on the 2007 IDM seminar, IOM is revisiting the topic at a time of increasing political urgency, and in view of the deep impacts of the COVID-19 global health crisis linking climate and migration to current and future development issues.
The first 2021 IDM session will be held on-line from 25 to 27 May, from 9:00 to 12:00 EST and it will be structured around several areas of focus, including:
- Accelerating action to address migration and displacement in the context of climate change and environmental degradation, towards the preparations of the 26th UNFCCC Conference of the Parties (COP26);
- Understanding the linkages between COVID-19, migrant health and the migration, environment and climate change nexus and promoting the inclusion of the environmental migration dimensions in COVID-19 recovery efforts;
- Examining the linkages between the Humanitarian, Development, Peace Nexus (HDPN) and the migration, environment and climate change nexus;
- Developing multi-stakeholder approaches, including with the private sector, to leverage opportunities and support the inclusion of migrants to build a sustainable future;
- Promoting and supporting regional and local action on migration, environment and climate change.
The IOM Director General, Mr. Antonio Vitorino, will open the session and will count on the presence of high-level speakers and participants.
Read the press release
Recordings are now available on the IOM YouTube channel.