Sri Lanka Knowledge Sharing Sessions on Migration, Environment and Climate Change
09 Apr 2021, 14:00pm
2.00 PM 4.00 PM | Via Zoom
A thematic session hosted by Maria Veger, ad interim Regional Thematic Specialist in MECC for Asia-Pacific, IOM Bangkok and presented by:
- Lorenzo Guadagno, Thematic Specialist in Migrants In Countries In Crisis / MECC, IOM Geneva
- Sinziana Puscas, Programme Officer MECC, IOM Geneva
Moderated by Rangitha Balasuriya, MECC Project Lead, IOM Sri Lanka
Key Areas of Discussion
- Understanding key terminology and definitional challenges;
- Recognizing the different typologies of disasters and environmental change;
- Understanding the different mobility outcomes related to disasters and environmental change;
- Exploring the policy landscape related to climate change and mobility.
IOM Sri Lanka held 2 virtual knowledge training sessions on migration, environment and climate change in April 2021. In both sessions IOM trainers shared technical knowledge on the MECC nexus, highlighted relevant policy frameworks, and provided recent contextual evidence from Sri Lanka, followed by discussions among participants. These activities are part of the two-year project “Understanding Migration, Environmental Degradation and Climate Change in Sri Lanka” funded by the IOM Development Fund (IDF) and implemented with the Ministry of Environment of Sri Lanka.