ACW 2022: First Global Stocktake of the Paris Agreement: Showcasing climate action and support in the Africa region
01 Sep 2022, 13:45pm
In-Person Venue: Libreville Room (Mezzanine), Radisson Blu, Libreville, Gabon
Thursday, September 1, 2022
United Nations Climate Change (UNFCCC) invites you to their "First Global Stocktake of the Paris Agreement: Showcasing climate action and support in the Africa region" during the Africa Climate Week.
This event will aim to share information on the modalities, status of work on GST1 and provide an opportunity for discuss climate action and support within the context of Africa, including challenges, barriers, solutions and opportunities. The first GST started at COP26 in Glasgow and will conclude at CMA5 (2023). GST1’s technical dialogue met for the first time in June 2022 (Bonn), with the second and third meetings scheduled for November 2022 (Sharm El-Sheikh) and June 2023 (Bonn). The modalities (themes, components and overall design) of and sources of input for the GST process are outlined in Article 14 of the Paris Agreement and decision 19/CMA.1. The outcome of the GST will inform Parties in updating and enhancing their NDCs (actions and support), as well as international cooperation for climate action.
Moderator: Dr. Musonda Mumba, Incoming Secretary General of Ramsar Convention
Opening Remarks and Setting the Scene:
- Cecilia Kinuthia-Njenga, Director, ISCP, UNFCCC
- H.E. Ambassador Janet Rogan, COP 26 Presidency Representative
- Sherif Dawoud, COP 27 Presidency Representative
- Hana S. Alhashimi, COP 28 Presidency Representative
- Harald Winkler, Co-facilitator of Technical Dialogue of GST1
- Walters Tubua: Programme Officer, CP, UNFCCC
- Remarks by the UNFCCC High-Level Champions: Nigel Topping (UK) and Mahmoud Mohieldin (Egypt)
Panel Discussion and Moderated Q&A:
- Mr. Richard Munang, Deputy Regional Director of the United Nations Environment Programme Africa Office
- Mr. Amjad Abdulla, Head of Partnerships, International Renewable Energy Agency
- Mr. Manuel Marques Pereira, Head of Division, Migration, Environment, Climate Change and Risk Reduction, International Organization for Migration
- Mr. Tanguy Gahouma, Green Climate Fund Board Member and former African Group of Negotiators on Climate Change Chair
- Ms. Omnia Ibrahim Hafez Ramadan Elomrani: COP 27 Presidency Youth Envoy
Closing Remarks by Cecilia Kinuthia-Njenga, Director, ISCP, UNFCCC
Further information regarding IOM's participation in the Africa Climate Week can be found here.